Eat your vegetables! OK, I’ll have mine with cream cheese frosting! That’s right…a carrot cake!
This month marks my best buddy’s birthday. He happened to be born on my dad’s birthday (Dad would have been 108 years old this year), so I never forget the date. My buddy’s favorite cake? I bet you’ve already guessed it’s Carrot Cake. Who would have thought you could make something so delicious out of vegetables? Actually, it makes sense. Besides the carrots giving off their natural sweetness as they cook inside the cake, they also give off their water and keep everything moist.
The following recipe is for a ONE LAYER CAKE. (I’m only feeding four.) If you want a two layer cake, simply double the ingredients and split the batter between two pans. I’ve included the recipe for my favorite Cream Cheese Frosting (also double for a two layer cake), but use whatever frosting you like, if any! This cake is moist enough to stand on its own. ENJOY!
(This recipe makes a one layer cake. Double for a two layer cake.)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Raisins (Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Let eggs come to room temperature. Grease and flour a 9” round cake pan.
- Shred your carrots on a box grater, or using a food processor. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil together with a mixer on medium speed until well blended. Reduce speed to low and beat in the flour mixture just until incorporated.
- With a rubber spatula, mix in the shredded carrots and vanilla…and raisins and walnuts (if using). Pour batter into pan, level, and tap on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- When cake is cool, prepare your frosting (if using) and frost your cake. Garnish with walnuts, if desired. ENJOY!
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
(Double for a 2-layer cake.)
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 Stick) Unsalted Butter
- 4 Ounces Block Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- Combine butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer) until creamy, well combined, and lump free. Add vanilla and salt and mix well until combined.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar and completely combined. Mix until fluffy. If too thick, add a drop or two of milk to thin. Ice your cake and enjoy.