Montauk is coming alive again, and Memorial Day is right around the corner. This also means that as the days are getting longer, the hemlines are getting shorter. Transition into the upcoming season with the following steps, to get summer ready in a snap.
1. Scrub and Smooth. Say goodbye to dry and rough skin with exfoliators for face and body. The first step to smooth skin is to remove dead skin cells that leave complexion looking dull and uneven. For face, I recommend a great drugstore buy, Olay Regenerist Detoxifying Pore Scrub. This product features micro-beads which effectively exfoliate, without being too harsh on gentle facial skin. Normal skin types should exfoliate about 3-4 times a week, while more sensitive types should aim for 1-2 times per week for optimal results. Body scrubs are an important pre-tanning step to create an even base layer. Indulge in the luxurious Crème Brûlée Sugar Scrub by makeup maven, Laura Mercier, to slough away dry skin with the aromas of caramel, spun sugar, and French vanilla bean. This item can be found at www.sephora.com.
2. Tan and Treat. Freshly exfoliated skin is the perfect canvas for self-tanning products. There are many brands that will give you an enviable glow, without the dreaded orange-tone that some people fear when it comes to self-tanners. For face, go with a hybrid formula that works double-duty for anti-aging and tanning benefits. Vita Liberata Self Tanning Anti-Age Serum, which can be purchased at Sephora, contains anti-aging actives that firm and plump the look of skin while building a natural looking tan. For body, I suggest L’ORÉAL Sublime Glow Daily Moisturizer, which offers a buildable, gradual tan with light capturing micro-pearls, to give your skin a subtle sparkle. Check drugstores or www.ulta.com to purchase.
3. Soften and Shine. Moisturizer is most effective when applied to damp skin, in order to lock-in the hydration. Maximize your shower time with Olay’s Ultra Moisture In-Shower Body Lotion. This innovative product is meant to be applied following your usual cleansing soap, then rinsed off. Elevate your moisture levels even further by applying Neutrogena Body Oil, Light Sesame Oil at the end of your shower routine. This body oil will leave your skin supple and glowing, just in time for shorts season. Both of these products can be purchased in drugstores or at ww.drugstore.com.
4. Blush and Bronze. Warmer weather calls for warmer makeup. Complete your summer-ready look with a face-flattering palette for all skin tones. Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Summer Glow Multi-Palette includes a light, golden-pink shimmer blush, a medium-warm rose blush, and a medium-tan bronzer. This trio can be used to customize the perfect summer glow for any complexion. These sun kissed shades can also be used on eyes for a bronzed goddess effect. Visit www.sephora.com to purchase this handy palette.
5. Hydrate and Protect. Beautiful weather means spending more time in the sun. Apply a face lotion with SPF daily, to help prevent aging and sun damage. Cetaphil Daily SPF Facial Moisturizer is a hydrating, smoothing formula that is available in SPF 15 and SPF 50, depending on your preference and sun protection needs. For men, I suggest Dove’s Men + Care Hydrate + Care Face Lotion SPF 15, which is a non-greasy, quickly absorbed formula, perfect for the man who doesn’t want to feel like he’s wearing something on his skin. Both brands can be found in major drugstores.